Warcraft Short Story: "Trials"

Warcraft Short Story: "Trials"
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    After several younglings are lost attempting their om’gora rites, Thrall begins questioning the value of the trials. The new generation places such emphasis on martial strength and battle prowess that they would risk death attempting the rites before they are ready. Walking through Orgrimmar with his family, Thrall reflects on his son’s readiness for the trials, his own coming of age, and how to prepare this new generation to build on the legacy he and his friends started long ago.

The young orc moved like a shadow through the palm fronds.

The edge of the Northern Barrens was a beautiful place: countless trees heavy with fruit, the sound of songbirds calling above. The young orc had heard stories of how the night elf druid Naralex and others restored this once-arid land to the stunning glory that now lay before him. And yet there was great danger here, for all that rampant green majesty. There were scars upon the land if one knew how to look—old bones bleached white amid tangles of lush grass, broken blades, the rusted handles of war axes. The land remembered those who’d fought here. Those who’d bled and died here.

The orc expected it to feel like a graveyard—that was how his father had described it—but it did not carry that mournful melancholy. Instead, with each old weapon, each mark of fire on the oldest trees, he felt a sense of wonder.

I am walking through the history of my people, he mused. It was not the kind of thought he usually had. There was the weight of truth in it, as though he was on the verge of some greater understanding—as close to it as to the beast he now stalked. Something new trying to bloom in the soil of his soul.

He climbed atop a cracked boulder and squatted there, his hands automatically moving to touch his blades. Being alone out here was entirely different than he had expected. Long before he’d even left home for his first leg of the om’gora, he had been filled with excitement in all its many forms: The bravado that boiled in his chest when announcing to his parents he was ready. The thrill of the hunt. The delight in taking the first step toward acceptance. The hope of earning the next blessing after this one. But now those feelings had faded—not gone, but receded to a shadowy distance in his heart and mind. He’d felt the change happen slowly. The anticipation of the om’gora lasted still, but the fires beneath it had been banked. The fear was there, of course. He was young but not foolish.

Now what he felt, he was certain, was a sense of awe. Perched atop this boulder, hearing the wind rustling, the ferns pressing in on either side of him, staring down toward the gaping maw of the Wailing Caverns, he felt as if a thousand—no, ten thousand—orcs stood all around him. He was in their company, even if most were lost to time and battle. Some, he knew, had failed trying to complete this exact rite, here on this rock or within the thick darkness of the caverns.

He felt them.

He was them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another good short story.

Solid 8 IMO

Lol at the Thrall art, the one that did that really needs more art school seen tons of fan art far better.
    Its like somebody hit his face flat with a cooking pot.
    Last edited by tromage2; 2024-07-01 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Lol at the Thrall art, the one that did that really needs more art school seen tons of fan art far better.
    Yeah the art for these stories isn't very warcraft at all, clearly not done in house

Still though, good story; guess they want Durak to be pretty strong going forward

Metzen stole Thrall's nose and forgot to give it back.

Yeah, art is just wrong and that is the theme for recent stories in general.

The Unstoppable Force Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't like much.

One, because i already knew what was going to happen. From the first non-named orc obviously set up to failure, all the talk with the prodigy daughter and Durak slaying the beast.

Its not bad, with the exception of usual shittalking about peace, its very well written, but if its so blatant predictable, it spoils the fun. Durak becoming yet again, another fucking warrior, and i bet his sister will be shaman, fucking boring.

but that is me to blame, i expected something different to spicy things up, like i dunno Durak rogue, warlock or even druid why not, just not the two most predictable choices. fuck even hunter would be a better interaction

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Metzen stole Thrall's nose and forgot to give it back.
    ???
    Thrall has always looked like this, a rather flat face.
    His nose is short and flared, as are many orcs.

- - - Updated - - -

He has literally always had a flat face, for such a garrosh fan you would think you would notice orcs have rather flat faces, especially the older ones, like thrall.

orcs unlike humans have jaws that are just as big if not bigger then their skull. Pair this with big jowels, flared short nose, and their skull being overall just wider, you get a flatter face then other creatures. Especially so with age, as it makes the skin sag.

Like this was thrall in BFA. Reminder, BFA was about 7/8 years ago.
    And thrall is an old lad, hes reaching his 50's, which for an orc is rather old. Like drekthar is nearing his 80's and hes full senile.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Yeah, art is just wrong and that is the theme for recent stories in general.
    Except its not lol.

Orc lore is dead, and it died with Garrosh. These are just green humans.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Bro didnt do the orc heritage armor questline and it shows.
    I meant good Orc lore.

???
    Thrall has always looked like this, a rather flat face.
    His nose is short and flared, as are many orcs.

- - - Updated - - -

He has literally always had a flat face, for such a garrosh fan you would think you would notice orcs have rather flat faces, especially the older ones, like thrall.

orcs unlike humans have jaws that are just as big if not bigger then their skull. Pair this with big jowels, flared short nose, and their skull being overall just wider, you get a flatter face then other creatures. Especially so with age, as it makes the skin sag.

Like this was thrall in BFA. Reminder, BFA was about 7/8 years ago.
    And thrall is an old lad, hes reaching his 50's, which for an orc is rather old. Like drekthar is nearing his 80's and hes full senile.
    Woof, lotta wrong in this.
    BfA came out in 2018, 6 years ago, which makes Thrall’s return in the cinematic Safehaven, only 5 years ago for us.

And while Thrall is certainly getting older, he was just in barely 20 during the Third War, which was not 30 years ago in cannon. Thrall is only in his very early 40s as of Dragonflight.

Lastly, Drek’thar was distinctly not senile in the orc heritage questline. He’s talking normally, barking orders, summoning spirit wolves, and giving Thrall shit.

But yeah, orcs generally don’t have protruding noses.
    Last edited by Villager720; 2024-07-02 at 01:37 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    BfA came out in 2018, 6 years ago, which makes Thrall’s return in the cinematic Safehaven, only 5 years ago for us.

And while Thrall is certainly getting older, he was just in barely 20 during the Third War, which was not 30 years ago in cannon. Thrall is only in his very early 40s as of Dragonflight.

Lastly, Drek’thar was distinctly not senile in the orc heritage questline. He’s talking normally, barking orders, summoning spirit wolves, and giving Thrall shit.

Hey, bro, idk if you know. but wow time does not travel in real time.
    There was a 5 year time skip at the end of shadowlands.

so woof, lotta wrong in this, if you are gunna try to "um atchually" someone, don't be wrong while doing so.

Shadowlands started at year 35, dragonflight started year 40.

Also, drekthar is senile, he has had episodes of forgetting where he is, he self admits to no longer having the strength of arm or of mind.
    Bros in a wheelchair for a reason, HES OLD.
    This was back in WRATH OF THE LICH KING btw.
    Bro went to mulgore and thought it was orgrimmar, and he's only gotten worse.
    Just cause he was fine for the short time we were with him, does not mean he is fine all the time.
    Hell, in BFA he even does not recognize the alliance player, and only recognizes the horde player by the confidence of their stride.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I meant good Orc lore.
    Yeah, it was good orc lore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Bro didnt do the orc heritage armor questline and it shows.
    Not like it matter much since it was rly bland to not say worse

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it was good orc lore.
    Definitely not, its like they scrabble the quest after browsing the wiki for a while

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post

Thrall is def younger, yes, but Drek'thar is also senile, and its not something new, it just that we caught him in a good day

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I didn't like much.

One, because i already knew what was going to happen. From the first non-named orc obviously set up to failure, all the talk with the prodigy daughter and Durak slaying the beast.

Its not bad, with the exception of usual shittalking about peace, its very well written, but if its so blatant predictable, it spoils the fun. Durak becoming yet again, another fucking warrior, and i bet his sister will be shaman, fucking boring.

but that is me to blame, i expected something different to spicy things up, like i dunno Durak rogue, warlock or even druid why not, just not the two most predictable choices. fuck even hunter would be a better interaction
    That's not a non-named orc; it's Durak - and he doesn't fail, try reading it again.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Orc lore is when Orc kill stuff apparently.

You don't like orc lore, you just like war.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    That's not a non-named orc; it's Durak - and he doesn't fail, try reading it again.
    My god, im talking about the non-named orc who fail the trial that is the book opening and dies, try reading it again

Hey, bro, idk if you know. but wow time does not travel in real time.
    There was a 5 year time skip at the end of shadowlands.

so woof, lotta wrong in this, if you are gunna try to "um atchually" someone, don't be wrong while doing so.

Shadowlands started at year 35, dragonflight started year 40.

Also, drekthar is senile, he has had episodes of forgetting where he is, he self admits to no longer having the strength of arm or of mind.
    Bros in a wheelchair for a reason, HES OLD.
    This was back in WRATH OF THE LICH KING btw.
    Bro went to mulgore and thought it was orgrimmar, and he's only gotten worse.
    Just cause he was fine for the short time we were with him, does not mean he is fine all the time.
    Hell, in BFA he even does not recognize the alliance player, and only recognizes the horde player by the confidence of their stride.
    Lol.
    1. nice dodge of BfA’s timing.
    2. I’m very aware of the time skip from SLs to DF. That time skip got us to roughly year 40 ADP. Thrall was born year year 1. You remain very wrong.
    3. I forgot he struggled during Cataclysm’s Shattering with his memories. That said, not sure him nor remembering Alliance heroes from
    AV is any sort of indication of senility.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    My god, im talking about the non-named orc who fail the trial that is the book opening and dies, try reading it again
    But it's also Durak in the opening of the story ;-).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusKane View Post
    But it's also Durak in the opening of the story ;-).
    It doesn't rly look that way, because the young orc said "Long before he’d even left home for his first leg of the om’gora, he had been filled with excitement in all its many forms: The bravado that boiled in his chest when announcing to his parents he was ready. The thrill of the hunt. The delight in taking the first step toward acceptance. The hope of earning the next blessing after this one.", in no way he mention how he was denied that he was ready or that his parents didn't accept, or that he went it anyway.

Rehze also says Durak was very mad about the young orc dying, who was his friend, and the orc in the beginning does not show any sign of hate/anger in his inner monologue, in fact he was thrilled to be there to prove himself, then afraid of the monster, nothing about avenging a friend.

I can see where you are going with it, but it seems pretty clear to me the young orc in the beginning was durak Friend, who though he was ready, and the parents let him go, died and Durak went to avenge him and to prove thrall he was ready. But if not, well, the story lose points because the point A to B don't connect.

Plus, the orc from the beginning used an axe and a dagger, you see durak in the cover with a sword
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2024-07-02 at 02:05 PM.