Which Covenant was your favorite?

I thought Covenants were an underappreciated feature.

Unlike class order halls where you could be stuck with a bad order hall/organization you didn't like (Sunwalker Tauren stuck inside a Church, or meh class order halls like the Warrior or Rogue), you could instead pick whichever one you felt was the most appropriate/you liked the most.

I quite liked the view from the Elysian Hold. Nice colors and architecture and view of the floating tethers of anima you restored, and you could mount up while there. Also had nice music.

Night Fae had the cool signature ability, Soulshape. Not only a cool shapeshift any class can use, but practically it was very nice for classes with low mobility like Death Knight and Warlock. Too bad the toy is on a 5 minute cooldown. I'd love to be able to macro it into my movement abilities and turn into a tiger whenever I use Death's Advance to run across a raid arena.

Night Fae had really nice class ability animations. I liked the idea that your character could learn brand new schools of magic like with Blessing of Seasons for Night Fae paladins, not just getting yet more light spells. It would be nice if all of the animations came back, like Death's Due (Night Fae Death Knight ability) for Death and Decay. It would be cool if we got more Covenant themed animations/glyphs too.

The Gorm mounts were pretty cool too.

Venthyr had the only good leader.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2024-06-28 at 06:37 PM.

Venthyr for the Aesthetics/Lore. Night Fae because they had a good zone.
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

Necrolord because the story of Shadowlands makes the strongest sense when you go through it as a Death Knight in the Necrolord covenant. You feel more like an agent of death on a mission.

I think literally every spec I played night fae was bis or 2nd so I genuinely think 95% of my expansion time in SL was as night fae

To be honest none of them really appealed to me thematically, just like the theme of the whole expansion

Quicker we forget about it, the better

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Necrolord because the story of Shadowlands makes the strongest sense when you go through it as a Death Knight in the Necrolord covenant. You feel more like an agent of death on a mission.
    I felt that none of the Covenants felt more appropriate than the other for the main story. You help get Maldraxxus in order, and then after that the Necrolords' only contribution was warping in a necropolis battleship to assault Torghast in 9.1, which admittedly was a cool cutscene. There was the Runecarver/missing Primus thing but that was a background subplot and was never a main driver. As for Death Knights, I felt that Venthyr for Blood with its appropriately bloody, stringy looking abilities and the pain/redemption theme worked well, and Night Fae also worked for Frost with the soul reincarnation theme that was adjacent to undead Death Knights (it's all death magic in the end anyway) and the blue abilities. My headcanon is that Night Fae magic has helped rehabilitate DKs from being less of a totally dead corpse that has been reanimated, and has become more of a living death Knight like Arthas was. Being a death knight who is now overgrown with death realm roots is pretty cool. The only Covenant that doesn't really mesh well for a DK is Kyrian.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2024-06-28 at 06:54 PM.

Venthyr > Night Fae = Kyrians > Necrolords

For as little care as I had for Shadowlands' story, most of the good of it came out of Revendreth, Castle Nathria and the Venthyr, for me personally. The mog sets and the general aesthetic were really nice as well.

night fea: was cool. Cool stuff to get. Decent story ( still missing a lot of that wicker stuff....where is the real stuff behing the wicker stuff) and cool lore potential and connections.

Kyrian: very cool. Cool stuff to get. Cool looks, nice story and major story relations and story potential.

Necrolord: looks where cool. stuff 2 get a bit less. Storywise it was a bit weaker. And the connection to future stories also weak.

Venthyr: dreathlords connection was really cool and the story around it. But future stuff makes it a bit weird. the stuff to get a bit weaker. zone was fun.

For me thinking back about it.

zone wise: Venthyr and kyrian
    story wise: kyrian and venthyr
    lore wise ( future and past): kyrian
    Cool stuff to get: all are pretty good.
    cool abiltys: night fea

overall for me kyrian wins it.

Kind all of them, but specific to an alt I play?

But that's what was wrong with them imo.

3+ Year Old Account
    Night Fae seemed like that least shitty Afterlife, so I'll go with them.
    Plus Bwonsamdi was there
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Venthyr as it reminds me of Victorian England, but more gothic. I also rode the carriages around because why not.

Bastion burns my retinas.

On my pally, Kyrian felt good and appropriate.
    On my demon hunter, none of them seemed to fit.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure I have an all round favourite. I think I liked Kyrian area the most cosmetically, and I also thought Venthyr was decent and Night Fae was very appropriate. I like a lot of the Class Animations/Effects, the use of Red/Blue/Green along with lots of very cool abilities (Divine Toll, Abom Limb, Mindgames, Flayed Shot etc). Thematically, I think Night Fae is the strongest, and I kind of understood the Venthyr, whilst I felt the losing of memories for Kyrian made it seem pretty meh and Necrolords were pretty bland overall.

Out of the afterlives shown I felt Night Fae was the only decent one, the rest seemed problematic. Krexus in Maldraxxus seemed a waste and was disappointed by the Primus after the statue in the original levelling made me thing he was cool looking. Daddy Denathrius stands out as one of the best characters created and the voice/design/actions were great. Ultimately though I'm not sure I'd think of any of those afterlives as really that real, would a shaman go to one of those? I always imagine an astral plain with grasses and hills, not really like Ardenweald or Bastion.

Honestly I much preferred the Legion Class Halls, I felt a lot more interested by their stories and their orders than anything Shadowlands offered. I actually liked the Uncrowned in Legion, I think Legions focus on each Class made that expansion really really good and gave a ton of replayability with Order Halls and Campaigns that sometimes overlapped with others.

Let's be realistic though, when I chose covenants it was always for whatever was best for Class/Spec to perform, not for thematics. I was primarily Necrolord as a Blood DK due to Abom Limb and some of the conduits simming well, I went Venthyr on Mythic Painsmith so I could use Door of Shadows for some tricky tank positioning, Night Fae of Sepulcher Xy'mox for Soulshape to avoid a bad combo, and Kyrian DK for damage during Sepulcher/S4.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

I thought Covenants were an underappreciated feature.

Unlike class order halls where you could be stuck with a bad order hall/organization you didn't like (Sunwalker Tauren stuck inside a Church, or meh class order halls like the Warrior or Rogue), you could instead pick whichever one you felt was the most appropriate/you liked the most.
    How is that any different than the Covenants? They had the exact same issue, and most of them were only fitting for elves, humans, death knights and or paladins.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    How is that any different than the Covenants? They had the exact same issue, and most of them were only fitting for elves, humans, death knights and or paladins.
    The Shadowlands is a completely different setting, with different schools of magic and the factions do not have the baggage that Azeroth's races and organizations have. There is a lot of flexibility here. In the Shadowlands, I can see evilish classes like Demon Hunter who lost everything and followed Illidan in his quest for revenge and became a wanderer after the Legion was defeated and then consumed with rage during the Fourth War choosing to join the Kyrian Covenant in search of peace and redemption. Or joining the Night Fae Covenant to join on their Wild Hunts, becoming rehabilitated into a better person. Or choosing to join the Venthyr should they believe in harsher discipline. I can see non-druid and hunter classes like Paladin and Death Knight choosing to explore the Night Fae and learn an alien type of magic and explore their Soulshapes, or an Orc warrior who marched with Sylvanas through Ashenvale, Darkshore, and burned Teldrassil being remorseful and becoming curious and choosing to go Night Fae. And so on. A Druid who became embittered during the Fourth War could become more grim and choose to join the Necrolord's army to learn their tactics and spells and become a better warrior. And so on. It is way easier to headcanon why any race/class combo would join most Covenants, rather than race/class combos being shoved into certain Class Order Halls with which they have a lot of historical animosity and cultural boundaries.

Night Fae, without any doubt. Probably because it was a beautiful green garden zone. Which i always prefer over skeletons and vampires.

Yes, i am old. As older i get as more i dislike death and its symbols.

I think Kyrian is going to lose because they are almost no one's favorite but they are the majorities 2nd or 3rd most liked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Kyrian the most of all covenants, but they ended disappointing
    their question was REALLY interesting, the most, but we didn't get answer, and it just continued like nothing
    So i vote for Venthyr, 2nd best and like them, 3rd is night fae, 4th is a piece of shit, yes a piece of shit is more valid imo than necrolords
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

I think I had more Kyrian toons than those of other covenants, but overall I liked the Night Fae vibe the most. It also depended on which toon I was on too.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Definitely Venthyr. The whole vampire, Gothic horror
    was really cool.

Night fae were alright, I suppose.

It is hilarious to me how badly handled necrolords were, and how Maldraxxus was basically Eastern Plaguelands V2, but bad and completely failing to capture any real atmosphere