Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 8,041 to 8,060 of 8,061

AgentCooper

Anyone have any thoughts on that Hellboy trailer? I love the characters but I’m just not feeling the excitement this time. I was day dreaming the other day about Del Toro doing a sequel but in stop motion animation.

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

PSN: Bundersvessel

FuriousMachine

@AgentCooper It's funny, because I was about to ask the same thing. I'm curious as to what "proper" Hellboy fans think. I actually thought it looked like a potentially cool supernatural horror flick with images of Hellboy spliced in For all I know, this is the kind of tone the comics set, but I really couldn't say.
I loved the first Del Toro movie, didn't care all that much for the second and skipped the new non-Del Toro version completely, so I don't have all that much experience with the character.
And Hellboy looked a bit "off" to me, but that is probably because Perlman inhabited that character so well that it just feels weird when it's someone else

FuriousMachine

LN78

Annual rewatch of "Jaws". Still brilliant. Go backwards and forwards on whether Robert Shaw as Quint or Rutger Hauer as Batty is my favourite movie performance of all time.

LN78

MightyDemon82

@AgentCooper @FuriousMachine I first got into the comics because of Del Toro's movie's. I do really like those movies, but they are nothing like the comics.

The last movie was plagued with lots of stuff behind the scenes and had lots of unfinished looking FX shots. But it was pretty faithful to the comic, just a strange point in HB's life to adapt as it's quite a lengthy story in the comics so squeezing it into one film definitely didn't help.

As for the new one. It's taken from a fantastic story drawn by the excellent Richard Corben. Apart from not having yellow eyes, the design of HB looks great. The sloping shoulders, the coat all look spot on. In the comics big red is never consistently the same colour. Depending on lighting and what his situation is he will be different shades of red, he's even been greys and other dull colours.

This is one of the stories where Hellboy just happens to be thrown into investigate and doesn't really explore his background. It's more of the horror vibe from the comics rather than the fantasy that Del Toro went with for his outings, especially The Golden Army!

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@AgentCooper @MightyDemon82 I watched the trailer again just now and I must say I'm liking the full on horror vibes it gives off and hope that's the tone in the movie as well. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one. Probably won't come to the theatres over here, but here's hoping!

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine The thing is that Hellboy is a quiet comic for the most part. People want a blockbuster but in reality, the lower budget horror dripping in atmosphere is where Hellboy will fit very well. I've been a fan of Hellboy and Mike Mignola's art/ storytelling for 20 years. Always happy to check out adaptations but nothing can beat the comics especially when Mike is behind both the story and the art.

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 Love to hear that! If this new movie pulls off the "horror dripping in atmosphere" thing it will so be my jam
Read up on the movie over at bloody-disgusting.com and the fact that Mignola and Christopher Golden are writing it fills me with promise. Brian Taylor as a director takes away some of that promise again, though (apart from "Crank", his movies have been... not very good, in my opinion)

FuriousMachine

AgentCooper

@FuriousMachine @MightyDemon82 I haven’t gotten round to reading the comics I’m ashamed to say, I loved Del Toro and just went along for the ride. I’m going to remain open minded about the new film especially following your comments MD 👍

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

PSN: Bundersvessel

Malaise

@LN78 Saw a news story earlier about a Lego set of the famous boat eating scene. Very cool. Anyway, it made me want to watch the film myself so I'll probably seek it out this week.

Malaise

LN78

@Malaise You can't really go wrong. If physical media is your thing, the most recent 4K release is reference quality and it usually shows up in the 2 for 1 deals these days.

LN78

Malaise

@LN78 It used to be. At one point I had over 4000 discs, but I've moved around more than the average so I actually don't have a single one anymore. Sold the vast majority, but a few rarities are in a box at my brothers house. Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion, but I'll watch it on a streaming service.

Malaise

JohnnyShoulder

@Malaise I gave a whole ton of DVDs to a charity shop when I got a PS4. Since then I've tried to only only buy films on disc that I know I like and will rewatch, especially on 4K as they are bit more expensive. My collection is now mainly films I grew up with like Alien, Aliens, Predator, The Thing to more recent films like Sicario, Get Out, The Batman.

Used be much more a scattergun approach with DVDs. Ended up with a wholemload films I only watched the once and didn't like. Much like PlayStation games with all the sales on the store, I've accumulated way too many games I know what to do with. Which is why I almost never buy any games these days, and either play something that is in my backlog or whatever is on PS Plus.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Malaise

@JohnnyShoulder That's a good idea. Maybe I'll do a little collection of personal favourites one day, but that's how it starts. 😅

Same with games. I have an obscene amount, most bought for next to nothing. Regardless, I do need to kerb that and just play more of what I actually already have instead of scouring sales. Especially since my gaming interest has dwindled somewhat lately.

Malaise

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder @Malaise I'm just now getting used to NOT buying the latest version of every movie that I want for my collection. If it's on blu-ray then I've stopped buying a 4K upgrade in most instances. I don't have Prime or Netflix subscriptions and just binge watch everything I want to see on those services when I do my yearly stint housesitting for my brother. I love having a beautfully curated movie collection sitting in my AV room but I'll cry in unlikely event that 8K discs ever become a thing. There's only so many times a person should have to buy "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Malaise

@LN78 Am I wrong in thinking we're already at, or close to, the limit of what detail the human eye can see? 8K might make a difference if we all get 100" screens? If anything, I think the detail we're at only serves to make the imperfections stand out more, and sometimes additional detail actually detracts from the experience, particularly in grimy settings. I'm over-thinking it, but it's an interesting rabbit hole to go down.

Malaise

JohnnyShoulder

@Malaise I've seen 12K videos pop up on YouTube! 🤣

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Malaise You can see the actors’ and actressess’ imperfections too. Some of them aged like 20 years immediately when seen in 4K. 😅

I think we will have 8K though. At 80 inches it is already available, and I think it will be available in some smaller sizes eventually, but I’m not sure how much difference it will show on the smaller screens. It will be great for the large home theater setups though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Yousef-

@Th3solution I’m not ready for 4K being the standard. It’s not that cheap to begin with xD.

I’m ok with larger screens being more common though. I think 55 inch screens in particular should be standard. I sit far from the tv quite often. XD

Steam Friend Code: 1176431257

Switch friend code: SW-7391-1388-5607

Xbox Gamertag: ForgetMeNot3495
(text me on the Xbox Messenger so I see your FR)

Current Switch Physical Game Count:26

LN78

@Th3solution I may have mentioned this before (ages ago) but on the 4K version of "The Mask of Zorro" the close-ups of Ms.Zeta-Jones appear to have been filmed through a thick layer of Vaseline. I believe "soft focus" is the polite term - but the rest of the movie is so pixel sharp that they stood out like a sore thumb. Distracting at first but then more and more amusing.

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic