Introducing the PMC Sidebar!offline_bolt

Cyprezz's AvatarCyprezz11/18/21 1:37 pm history
106 emeralds 2k 76
12/1/2021 12:53 pm
HomelessPetey's AvatarHomelessPetey
Hello PMC!

The following is a level 2, member only, feature on Desktop & Mobile. We're unsure of the best way to provide it on tablets at this time.

We launched the PMC Sidebar along with a few additional updates to the website to connect members and make things even more dynamic around here.

contacts PMC Sidebar

The Sidebar currently allows you to add up to 12 members to easily keep up with your favorite content creators. If you use Discord, it should look familiar and be easy to use. We might allow more in the future as well as provide grouping options pending interest and time to develop.

account_circle Sidebar Members

Each sidebar member will display current online status, custom status (new level 5+ feature) AND notifications for new content, threads, wall posts or direct messages to you. The Sidebar is live updated while the tab has focus!

Left click a Sidebar member to visit their profile page.
Right click a Sidebar member to view a context menu with options to jump to their Content, Threads, Wall posts and messaging features. The menu will only display options if the member has posted the relevant type. No wasted clicks! The menu options will break down any notifications counts so you know what's new.

add_circle How to add members to your Sidebar?

There are several ways to add members to your sidebar.

1) Side bar itself
  1. Open the sidebar by clicking the small icon in the upper left corner of the site
  2. Click the add_circle button at the very bottom
  3. Enter usernames.
2) Member Tool Tips
  1. Hover over a member's username anywhere on the website.
  2. Click "Add to my Sidebar" from the member tool tip.
3) Member Profile Page
  1. Far right of member bar, click the three vertical dots
  2. Select "Add to my Sidebar"

remove_circle How to remove members from your Sidebar?

Right click the member on your sidebar and select "Remove". On mobile, simply tap to open the same menu and select "Remove".

format_list_numbered How to order the members on my Sidebar?

Click, drag and drop them into the order you want them to be in.

phone_android How do I access my Sidebar on a Mobile device?

Click your account menu account_circle in the upper right. The Sidebar will appear with your personal menu.

exposure How to expand or hide my Sidebar

Click the > arrow at the very bottom to expand your sidebar to show usernames and any custom statuses.
Click the X button at the very bottom to hide the sidebar if it happens to be in your way.

wifi Live Updated Notifications!

The sidebar will automatically update while the browser tab has focus. Online status, custom status & notification counts all live update!

A few additional updates felt necessary or timely.

textsms Custom Statuses!

If you're level 5 or above, you can now set a custom profile status via your profile settings. The custom status will appear on your profile and with your username on a sidebar.

fiber_manual_record Setting your Online Status!

You can now set your online status by clicking the online indicator on your member card in the header of the website.

Options include:
  • Online | Default - Automatically shows when your online or offline.
  • Idle | Just chilling. You'll automatically enter this state if last action on website was more than 10 minutes ago.
  • Do Not Disturb | Indicate that your busy.
  • Invisible | You'll always appear Offline. You still have access to all features. If you post something new, members will of course see it and be notified. You'll just appear to be a ghost.

contact_mail Revised Member Tool Tip Cards!

We updated the member tool tips that appear when you hover over usernames on the website. You'll see relevant menu options based on what the member has contributed to the community. Example: Content, Threads, Wall posts, etc. Hoping this helps you get to what you want to see more easily.

help What do you think!?

I'm particularly excited about this update because I think it's really going to bring friends together as well as make it trivial to know whether your favorite content creators posted something new. Not everyone posts a lot of content but there's a LOT of content posted making it easy to miss things and hard to keep up!

I also find myself needing to visit the same profiles but always fumbling with the address bar or using search. No more!

I hope you find it useful for keeping up with your favorite members in the community.

Any feedback, questions, suggestions post below! Find a bug? Please submit a ticket.
Cyprezz
Admin / Lead Developer
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg Programmer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

The Skin Shaper
11/30/2021 7:13 pm
Level 43 : Master Procrastinator
now i can stalk my favorite pmc creators. i love it.
Wuubbii
11/30/2021 2:03 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Sweetheart
I have to guess where people are
Wuubbii
11/30/2021 2:03 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Sweetheart
It’s literally invisible for me on mobile
Cyprezz
11/30/2021 8:18 pm
He/Him • Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg Programmer
Mind PMing me what mobile device you use? I have an emulator service that I can test with.
PsioPsia001
11/30/2021 1:18 pm
She/Her • Level 57 : Grandmaster Ranger Mountaineer
On mobile when I click on the last member on the sidebar I can open only messages and remove, the rest is outside of the screen
HomelessPetey
12/01/2021 12:53 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
That was kinda what I was trying to explain...
Cyprezz
11/30/2021 8:17 pm
I know what I must do. I'm sorry but I also know it will take me time to get around to it.
HomelessPetey
11/29/2021 1:10 pm
There's this thing that sometimes happens (on mobile) which makes everything shift up when yo tap on the user idk why. Also once it said that someone had 181 new submissions, even though that was their total submission count. Do you think it would be possible to fix these problems?
Cyprezz
11/30/2021 7:14 am
When you tap on a user that is on the sidebar or on the general website?

Trying to think of how the second notification count issue could happen. I know it would be related to when the site thought you last checked their submissions but when you add them, the time is set for the first time and should only update to newer timestamps as you go forward, not go back in time to where it would think old content is now new to you. The notifications were all for content? aka. skins, maps, etc. Just wondering if threads or wall posts were included in the 181 notifs.
HomelessPetey
11/30/2021 1:09 pm
It was 181 submissions plus wallposts and it didn't fix itself until I tapped on them. Also here is the other problem:
It is sometimes worse than this.

Edit: idk why the image didn't work it is an imgur image :/
Cyprezz
11/30/2021 8:20 pm
Alright. I'm unsure atm what would cause that and this is the first report I've seen of this type of issue. Let me know if it happens again. I'll try to think what might cause it but I'm also thinking of a lot of other unrelated things.
Advolton
11/29/2021 5:28 am
Level 26 : Expert Pixel Puncher
Great work Cyprezz!

I already had a little play with the Custom Status option, but the sidebar is really, really neat.
string cheese
11/28/2021 1:46 am
Level 33 : Artisan Musician
nice
The Golden Enderian
11/20/2021 2:07 pm
He/Him • Level 34 : Artisan Button Pusher Magical Boy
I’ve added you, and two of my followers on skindex because they have pmc too
jamhose
11/20/2021 3:19 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect
Is it just me or is the this person was last seen feature gone? It was a great feature and with all the old projects on this site it allowed you to get a sense of whether or not this member was likely to be coming back and working on this project more. I will miss it if it has gone, I might also just be too stupid to notice it.

If it has gone please bring it back it was epic!
Cyprezz
11/20/2021 11:11 am
Hover over the offline indicator and you'll see last seen info
Blue Piranha
11/19/2021 7:55 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Vampire
um this was a pleasant surprise!!!! this is great!
mrcool654321
11/19/2021 7:49 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Modder
no live update
Pythagoras_314
11/19/2021 4:36 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Pig
Literally discord
Cyprezz
11/19/2021 12:21 pm
Few fixes & tweaks to sidebar update.
  • Instant clear notification counts instead of taking up to 30 seconds to clear.
  • When viewing a member profile homepage, only clear notifs of widgets they have displayed. Example, clear wall notifs only when they have the widget.
  • Fix mobile z-index issues ( menus were improperly layered )
  • Better alignment & display of notif counts when you right click to see source.
  • Fixed profile avatar / custom status display on Mobile
  • Optimized who is checked on your sidebar based on current online status & last known status.
  • Moved Joined date & Game name back to bottom of member tips.
  • Fixed display of matching members from a site keyword search
teddyweddyfoxy
11/19/2021 7:12 am
Level 26 : Expert Spider Rider
cool
anonpmc2558251
11/19/2021 6:29 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
[deleted]
MJ_mcMaster
11/19/2021 5:57 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
Whoa, pmc just became discord with 10 gazillion more features
HomelessPetey
11/19/2021 1:18 am
Love it! Is kinda weird on mobile but it is really amazing overall
Cyprezz
11/19/2021 12:22 pm
How is it now? Still weird? If so, please elaborate.
HomelessPetey
11/19/2021 2:06 pm
Yea thx! :D
Bertiecrafter
11/19/2021 1:06 am
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
Holy heck, didn't see this one coming. I might not have felt the need for live updates (except my own notifications maybe), but these are some very cool new features nonetheless.

I was wondering how this plays along with subscribers... The ability to find a creators notifications without subscribing kinda dissolves the need to subscribe, which is still a valuable statistic to creators. Kinda like how YT's recommended algorithm is getting so good that everyone starts there video with "So 50% of you isn't subscribed" XD. Just a suggestion, but maybe you should only be able to add members you're subscribed to. Or show a popup along the lines of "Subscribe now?" when you try to add someone who you aren't subscribed to.
Cyprezz
11/19/2021 12:30 pm
Nope, no effect or relation to subscriptions. Sidebar is meant to be something we can quickly add / remove members without over thinking it. For example, I don't want to worry about putting pressure on someone because I added them to my sidebar. That's not good for them or myself. I also don't want to be forced to subscribe to someone before I could add them to my sidebar. Too much thinking.
stlMitch
11/18/2021 10:27 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
I love the custom status, that's a real nice touch ��
mythicaldream69
11/18/2021 9:06 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Technomancer
history
Awesome update! Keep up the good work!
yogurt_the_lizorb
11/18/2021 8:06 pm
She/Her • Level 34 : Artisan Mage Fox
yooooooo
mcrjellyfish
11/18/2021 8:02 pm
Any/All • Level 56 : Grandmaster Wizard Professor
very cool update :thumbsup:
nekoshishi
11/18/2021 7:44 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
level 2 feature.......
Cyprezz
11/19/2021 12:36 pm
Yeah, it's for members that have had enough interaction with the community to level up once. I could see unlocking it for level 1's that have been on the site for X months or something. Not everyone interacts with the community. Have to feel out the interest.
albin_
11/18/2021 7:18 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
So epic
MoccaWasTaken
11/18/2021 7:14 pm
Any/All • Level 41 : Master Imposter
I like it! :D
EuphoriaLuna
11/18/2021 5:47 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Sweetheart
I like this update.
MOLTENONI
11/18/2021 5:30 pm
She/Her • Level 61 : High Grandmaster Zombie Princess
this is super cool
mrcool654321
11/18/2021 5:14 pm
Found a glitch if you change your status a few time it will just change the color
mrcool654321
11/18/2021 5:06 pm
saw it when I loaded PMC
BigBuilds
11/18/2021 4:24 pm
Level 49 : Master Network
Great work on this one! The community just got way easier to navigate, and the custom status is really cool! Your work is appreciated.
Gigagleam
11/18/2021 4:23 pm
He/Him • Level 35 : Artisan Dragon Pokemon
This is a great update.
Cardinal System
11/18/2021 3:51 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
history
I can't say I like this new feature. It does not feel like PMC anymore, but more like a Discord ripoff. I also feel like this is beating the already dead horse which the PMC chat has become. With direct messages now made more convenient, I anticipate that people will be less prone to using the chat. The new tooltips will definitely take some getting use to. I've been looking to the bottom of member stats for the join date and IGN for seven years, and now that it's at the top it's really messing with me. Did we have to get rid of the "last seen" part? I like being to see if members are still active before interacting with them.

Now, obviously, I am going to be unreceptive of any changes to the site, as they serve as a regression away from what I perceive as the most perfect form of the site - the beautiful, grand, and welcoming site which I once joined seven years ago. However, something like this makes me particularly question my privacy, but even more so the addictive effect I expect it to have on already committed members such as myself.
Cyprezz
11/19/2021 1:11 pm
I respect that you're voicing your criticism in this sea of hype. I went ahead and moved the join date & game name back to the bottom of the tips.

While the design and ease of use is intentionally similar to Discord, which pretty much every gamer online is using these days and is likely the main reason why our chat is less active, after that, the same creative community remains. The notifs you get are not instant messages (Discord / Chat) or only direct messages, they also notify us of content, threads and wall posts that we might have missed otherwise. It's our own flavor of a useful sidebar.

Last seen still exists but only on hover of an offline status and only if the member isn't invisible, otherwise it would defeat the purpose of being invisible. Have to think about how to make that info available on Mobile.

In terms of privacy, the different online statuses actually afford more privacy than we previously had. You can now choose to always be offline. Are you concerned about being on someone's sidebar? System does respect our block lists but if you don't want to be on anyone's sidebar... hmm. Maybe, I could add a setting for that.

I purposefully didn't add notifications for when you add someone to your sidebar to eliminate overthinking who you add as well as not putting any pressure on the member being added. I intend to add / remove freely and don't want to second guess my choices due to sending out notifications. I see the sidebar as a personal bookmark bar in that sense but obviously way more useful than browser bookmarks.
Paril
11/18/2021 5:15 pm
He/Him • Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat Programmer
history
The "last seen" thing had to be adjusted because of the privacy concern. You couldn't appear offline without it being obvious that you're not actually offline if Last Seen was still being updated, so it wouldn't be a useful metric. (EDIT: it's still there if you hover over the offline dot, actually)

Chat is still useful for LiveTV gatherings, but I don't think we'll be doing much with it going forward. DMs are basically chat, though it's not "live" and there's a bit of a delay in receiving them. It's a real challenge to link chat and the site more than it already is.

IGN and Join Date were likely moved to the top because they are more important information, and they used to be at the bottom just because that's where we added new stuff generally.
StaticNCogs
11/18/2021 3:50 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Imposter
This is awesome!
_Boo_
11/18/2021 3:39 pm
Any/All • Level 46 : Master Taco Artist
If its bad if i ask if somebody could show me the step with screen shot on how to access on mobile since i can't find it plz qwq
Cyprezz
11/19/2021 12:43 pm
It will be easier to see it after adding at least one member.

On mobile click your member menu button account_circle in upper right:

Silabear
11/18/2021 3:39 pm
He/Him • Level 68 : High Grandmaster Guard Bear
history
epiiiiic! On tablet, maybe display at the bottom or below pinned categories bar
Cyprezz
11/19/2021 12:40 pm
Hmm, that's good idea for compact mode, just avatars, but I'm not sure how to display the expanded view that includes usernames & statuses.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome