Mending or Infinity?how_to_vote

ScotsMiser's AvatarScotsMiser5/30/24 7:16 pm history
11 emeralds 774 51
6/29/2024 4:10 am
ScotsMiser's AvatarScotsMiser
What is says on the tin:

Do you generally use Mending or Infinity? [​feel free to discuss the reasoning behind your choice[​s] in the comments]

Poll ended 06/23/2024 11:05 pm.

ScotsMiser
Level 41 : Master Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

ItsMeNeon
06/28/2024 12:37 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Toast Mage
mending better but i chose dont use a bow
ScotsMiser
06/29/2024 4:10 am
history
As a matter of curiosity: why?

Do you use some other missle weapon (trident, crossbow, or something modded)?
ScotsMiser
06/27/2024 6:02 am
Thanks to voters and those writing replies…

That Mending was teh most popular choice was unsurprising, but I had expected this would be by a considerably larger margin…
PlaceholderName
06/24/2024 12:12 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Princess
might use mending if i’m using bows with effects, still though i’d choose infinity before mending
OrderWithoutBorders
06/08/2024 4:57 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
I barely use bows, so I generally have enough arrows that mending would make sense for me. It is not that hard to make arrows, if you have a chicken farm and mine gravel you're fine. Getting infinity on the other hand, and any enchantments to go with it, takes much longer and is harder to do. So I would go with mending based on the cost of infinity books vs xp and arrows.
ScotsMiser
06/08/2024 8:56 pm
Rather surprised to find someone who doesn't use bows… is this in favor of another missle weapon?

I tend to do a fair amount of treasure fishing (often as a fiddle farm while loading something else) and to have developed skelton spawners, so I have a ready source of enchanted bows which greatly feduces the cost of building a 'super-bow'.

I also mine gravel with silk touch because I find the gravel more useful as gravel…

(Again, differences in playstyle diffusing across several issues changing other choices that might not seem realted at first glance.)
OrderWithoutBorders
06/28/2024 9:26 pm
I hate using ranged weapons in this game. They're all too slow, I like guns, bang bang!
SSpotomice
06/08/2024 4:07 pm
He/Him • Level 1 : New Explorer
ScotsMiser
06/08/2024 8:42 pm
We applaud 👏 your concision 😁
TheRedDemon
06/04/2024 10:55 pm
He/Him • Level 26 : Expert Procrastinator Procrastinator
history
Infinity because it shoots infinite arrows and it lasts infinitely long
Finnodile
06/04/2024 9:10 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Goblin Goblin
history
Infinity is statistically better. It will cost more to constantly collect or craft arrows than it will to simply forge bows together.

Also, theres nothing worse than being in the middle of a fight when you run out of arrows.
FrontSubfrostFort
06/04/2024 9:08 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Infinity. Its better and you can use an arrow with effect (e.g. arrow of slowness, harming, wither, and others)
Bow also easy to reapair.
So infinity is better than mending, put your mending on pickaxe bro
OrderWithoutBorders
06/08/2024 4:53 pm
I think infinity bows still consume non-standard arrows.
Unstable_
06/02/2024 9:39 pm
Level 21 : Expert Chef Blockhead
put it like this:
would you rather keep your tools from breaking or repeatedly shoot only 1 arrow?
ScotsMiser
06/03/2024 1:42 am
Interesting way of putting the choice between tracking arrows and occasionally anviling up a new super bow
connorhedgehog
06/02/2024 6:44 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Cake
depends on if i have a skeleton spawner or not!
ScotsMiser
06/02/2024 5:39 pm
An important consideration (although not a deal-breaker for me given my tendency to build mob farms anyway)
Team UNNAMED
06/01/2024 7:29 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Creeper
mending
OmnilashA
06/01/2024 6:47 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Engineer Birb
history
  The obvious answer is Infinity. Mending is a great enchantment, arguably the best in the game, but let's be honest, are you really gonna use it on a bow over something like a sword? Or a pickaxe? Even armor is a better choice! And the thing is, bows are cheap, making them easy to fix using an anvil.
Now, Infinity, on the other hand, is way better in terms of practicality. Having an infinite amount of arrows is objectively good because of just how elusive it can be to get arrows without some form of a mob farm. With an Infinity bow, you only need one arrow in your inventory, meaning you don't have to waste 10 minutes of walking around at night looking for skeletons. And even if you do go with Mending and decide that hunting down skeletons is better, the drop chance of Skeleton arrow(s) is 66%, meaning that a third of all the skeletons you massacre will be for absolutely nothing. Now, how are you seeing that Mending bow of yours?

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
ScotsMiser
06/01/2024 8:09 pm
Different reasoning , but much the same conclusion…

(We ought to have a TED talk style catagory under blogs, article doesn't seem to egt used that way.)
sniffercraft34
06/01/2024 9:17 am
He/Him • Level 38 : Artisan Procrastinator Cookie
Infinity, because bows have quite good durability, and you can still give it unbreaking.
Also, arrows are tiring to make.
ScotsMiser
06/01/2024 3:38 pm
I'd be surprised if I ever made an arrow (of course, I like building mob farms).
sniffercraft34
06/02/2024 4:07 am
He/Him • Level 38 : Artisan Procrastinator Cookie
True, you could let skeletons do the dirty work
illager
06/01/2024 8:40 am
He/Him • Level 58 : Grandmaster Meme Theorist
I use a crossbow, really.
ScotsMiser
06/01/2024 3:37 pm
Why does that not surprise me? 🤣

Seriously, what advantage[s] do you see in a crossbow vs the older longbow?
illager
06/01/2024 5:39 pm
He/Him • Level 58 : Grandmaster Meme Theorist
I find them to be better in accuracy and in distance. They also have great enchantments like multishot.
Dronko fire blaster
05/31/2024 7:54 pm
Level 46 : Master Dragonborn
its fun to use a trident as your main weapon
ScotsMiser
05/31/2024 8:20 pm
Fun, yes, but I found the rate-of-fire and the damage (both per second and per shot ) inferior. (I also find Impaling less useful than Power.)

Loyalty / Channeling (during a thunderstorm) is hard to beat for gleefully mindful death & destruction 😈
custardkitty
05/31/2024 7:50 pm
Level 22 : Expert Princess
I usually do sword combat but I really do like bows, I just have to get mroe comfortable with it
ScotsMiser
05/31/2024 8:16 pm
One of the first things I did back when I started playing was to go into creative mode and practice archey (first static targets, then mobs).
[​IRL I started shooting as a kid, but the arrow flight mechanics and the viewpoint are different enough to require practice with the MC version. ]
ZugZukunft
05/31/2024 3:46 pm
Level 20 : Expert uwu System
Its is really easy to get a lot of arrows. Also i kinda suck when you use a lot of levels for a perfect bow and then it breaks after like 10 arrows and you only can use normal arrows.
Mending is for me the way to go.

But if your speedruning/ not planing on playing the world a lot then infinity is also good
ScotsMiser
05/31/2024 5:46 pm
"…you use a lot of levels for a perfect bow and then it breaks after like 10 arrows and you only can use normal arrows."

What mod version does this? [I've always found anvil combining to require repair of the bow to full durability. Also, while an infinity bow does decrement groups of tipped arrows, it doesn't prevent using them. (Not that I'm much of a tipped arrow user….)]
DoomStryker
05/31/2024 3:03 pm
He/Him • Level 24 : Expert Robot Architect
Well, Infinity for me is the first choice because unlimited arrows. And I prefer to not worry about arrows because I like spamming them at mobs. But honestly, I really would like to have both, because Mending can repair your armor when you get experience points, and I do fight a lot of mobs. But in the end, I'll take Infinity.
PreClassicAlpha
05/31/2024 4:23 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
How is your text light blue DoomStryker?!
DoomStryker
05/31/2024 5:56 pm
Hey, bud! So when you begin typing, there's a A symbol with a line under it on the right. You can change the color there. Only works for submissions, DMs, and forums.

Hope it helps! :D
PreClassicAlpha
05/31/2024 6:05 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
Thanks, DoomStryker. I had a little trouble finding it at first, but then found it.
DoomStryker
05/31/2024 6:09 pm
Look at you! Rocking the green color! Good stuff! Glad to be of help!
FoxBoy008
05/31/2024 2:00 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
I use infinity because bows are easy enough to make to be able to repair my bow on an anvil. Although I don't use bows very often because I play as a hermit. I have an underground cake creating empire that I run to avoid starvation and pretty much everyone/thing else.
ScotsMiser
05/31/2024 2:57 pm
Very much agree about the bows:
with either Villager Trading OR a Player-kill Skeleton Spawner OR Treasure Fishing, getting the bows & bools to combine into a maxed-out bow isn't all that hard…
…if one has two or three it's even simpler.
ZugZukunft
05/31/2024 3:49 pm
you can get 16 arrows for 1 emerald from villagers so mending and infinity are both good. I think it depends a lot on how often you use a bow
ReifytheJester
05/31/2024 1:48 am
He/Him • Level 9 : Apprentice Skinner
Infinity cause it saves the pain of getting more arrows
ReifytheJester
05/31/2024 1:48 am
He/Him • Level 9 : Apprentice Skinner
it just gets annoying eventually
ScotsMiser
05/31/2024 1:00 pm
I tend to have enough mob drop farms and developed skeleton spawners that resupply isn't too onerous, but just the one more thing_to_pay_attention_to is worth avoiding…
TorenokRed
05/30/2024 11:36 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
Mostly mending is what I use. Kinda like the fact that you can keep the bow that you've worked for a bit enchanting basically forever, while with infinity you will eventually break it. With that said, I do also make one with infinity as well for long exploration trips or when going for one of the bosses.
ScotsMiser
05/30/2024 11:39 pm
Curious:
How many arrows do you typically carry? [​in inventory, not end chest or shulkers]
Aby tips for arrow management (knowing when your low)?
ZugZukunft
05/31/2024 3:53 pm
It would be cool to have new enchantments for the bow, that make that arrows have a change of not getting used. A quiver would also be a nice additiion.
ScotsMiser
05/31/2024 5:41 pm
Would you add a quiver instead of or in addition to the current body equipment slots [​armor/main hand/off hand]?

if 'instaed of', which would you have the quiver replace?

Or, do you have a different concept for the quiver?
ZugZukunft
06/01/2024 7:58 am
While a custom slot (right to the off hand slot) would be cool, it would be a bit more of a challange to have it in the chest slot. A quiver, that functions like a sack or like the hypixel skyblock quiver would also be nice. I could make a mod for this if some1 has interest
ZugZukunft
05/31/2024 3:51 pm
usually about 2-3 stacks if i have a bow. I usually dont have a bow, because a perfect sword and elytra is enough for me
TorenokRed
05/31/2024 10:45 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
I usually carry about a stack with me. As for knowing when low, just keep the stack on the hotbar (usually 7 or 8) so that you can see them. When I get a looting sword though this is not an issue as you can use the "looting bow" trick to keep a good supply since skellies will drop a few for you (I've come back after some caving trips with a and extra stack when finished.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome