My iPad does not synchronize books from my Mac on the books app

I used to add epubs from my Macbook Pro by just double clicking on the epub file and the book will be added to my books app on my Macbook, and a couple of minutes later (usually a couple of seconds) the book will be on my books app on my iPad too. Now whenever I add a new book to my books app on my Macbook, it does not synchronize anymore on my iPad. I have to connect a cable and do the syncing manually, very cumbersome. Any ideaso of why this is happening?

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Jul 2, 2024 8:49 AM

5 replies

Jul 2, 2024 10:40 AM in response to jcvelac

On the mac go to System Settings (or Preference Settings) > [your name] > iCloud and check that Books is turned on in APPS USING ICLOUD section. On the iPad, go to Settings (or Preference Settings) > [your name] > iCloud and do the same.

If Books is already turned on, turn it off, restart the device and turn it back on. Do this on each device.

Jul 2, 2024 1:29 PM in response to 6x6

Yes, Books is on the iCloud on both iPad and Macbook, yet still they are not synchronized. I had them in sync for 3 years without an issue. I do remember turning on the sync button on the iPad mount drive on the Macbook but then I turned it off when the sync was disabled. Am I missing something else?

Jul 3, 2024 7:03 AM in response to 6x6

Yes, I did it. I turned off the iCoud on both devices, restarted each of them, turned them back on, still not syncing. I think it started happening after I upgraded the Macbook Pro M1 to Sonoma. Could it be a Sonoma glitch? I know I can sync them through he IPad mount drive on the Macbook with a cable but that's very cumbersome and time consuming. What else could it be?

Jul 3, 2024 7:12 AM in response to jcvelac

I don’t believe it’s a bug in macOS Sonoma. My book library syncs correctly between my Mac using macOS Sonoma and my iPad using iPadOS 17.5.1. I’m not storing epub documents, though; only PDFs and “regular” books from the App Store.

Have you tried syncing a PDF instead of an epub document? I’m wondering whether it’s a document format issue.

Otherwise, I don’t know what the issue could be. If no other contributors join this discussion to offer solutions, you could try to contact Apple Support.

My iPad does not synchronize books from my Mac on the books app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.